Houston Police Chief Art Acevedo has joined a growing chorus of voices warning that the Trump administration’s harsh immigration tactics are silencing victims of rape and other violent crimes. On Wednesday, Acevedo announced that the city’s police department has found that the number of Latinx reporting rape decreased by nearly 43% from January to March this year, compared to the same three months last year, the Houston Chronicle reported. Other violent crimes saw a 13% decrease during the same period. At a news conference discussing the findings, Acevedo said, “When you see this type of data, and what looks like the beginnings of people not reporting crime, we should all be concerned. A person that rapes or violently attacks or robs an undocumented immigrant is somebody that is going to harm a natural born citizen or lawful resident,” the newspaper noted. Meanwhile, the same internal police study found increases of more than 8% of non-Latinx victims reporting rape, and nearly 12% reporting other violent crimes. Houston joins several other cities that have recently warned of similar trends. As Fusion’s Anne Branigin points out, reports by Latinx victims of sexual assault and domestic violence in Los Angeles have dropped by 25%… Read full this story
- Latino officers are helping diversify police. Can they help reform the ranks?
- Texans struggling to stay warm in homes warned they might not see power for days
- 'Fine line between popular & populist' May blasts Police Bill 'our freedom depends on it'
- Don’t let vile killer cop Wayne Couzens overshadow hero police officers
- Police missed three clues about Wayne Couzens that could have seen him booted from Met before he killed Sarah Everard
- Crackdown launched at Britain’s most sexist police station where cops had sex on duty and worked as escorts.
- 'Egregious': Medical alerts, tripped alarms and open doors have all gotten people killed by police at their homes
- Police Officer Killed in Bronx Project Scarred by Gangs
- What to Know About the Push to Defund, Abolish or 'Reimagine' Police in the Wake of George Floyd's Death
- The Police Called It An Accident. She Turned to 1-800-Autopsy.
Houston Police Chief Warns That Deportation Fear Is Empowering Rapists have 344 words, post on splinternews.com at April 9, 2017. This is cached page on Vietnam Dance. If you want remove this page, please contact us.