Friends fear Philip Hammond (pictured) will walk out of the Government over a ‘hard’ Brexit The Treasury last night moved to quash fears that Philip Hammond could be on the brink of quitting as Chancellor over the mounting Cabinet rift over Brexit. Friends of Mr Hammond claim he has been deliberately excluded from key No 10 meetings because of his outspoken criticism of Ministers who back the ‘hard’ Brexit option of the UK leaving the single market. They fear that, at the age of 60, he will walk out of the Government rather than stifle his opposition. Last night, a Treasury spokeswoman insisted Mr Hammond would not ‘throw his toys out of the pram’ and was working ‘to bring everyone together’. The fears come as Theresa May faces a hostile reception at her first European Council in Brussels on Thursday where she will hold informal talks on her Brexit strategy with other EU leaders. The Prime Minister is also facing increasing pressure from opponents of a ‘hard’ Brexit. RELATED ARTICLES Previous 1 Next Don’t tell me how to do my job: Bank of England boss issues… Nissan boss voices confidence in post-Brexit Britain as a… Share this article Share The… Read full this story
- Philip Hammond reveals he will quit as chancellor if Boris Johnson becomes PM
- Furious Downing Street accuses Labour and SNP of moving to ‘sell UK down the river’ with ‘plot’ to wreck Brexit by installing Jeremy Corbyn as caretaker PM
- Election WILL be on December 12 and Boris Johnson wants Brexit done by New Year
- Boris Johnson threatens to DITCH Brexit Bill and demand Christmas election if he loses crunch Commons vote tonight
- Who is Sir Oliver Letwin, what is his Brexit amendment and is he a Remainer?
- Election: 90 key seats where votes for Brexit Party could help Jeremy Corbyn reach No10
- Nigel Farage slams Boris’ plans to take No Deal Brexit off table as he warns ‘Britain will never be free from EU rules’
- Theresa May hints she will QUIT if MPs don’t back her Brexit deal again next week – as she begs Brussels for three-month delay after 1,000 wasted days
- Cabinet reshuffle in full: All the MPs backed, sacked and cracked in Boris Johnson’s team
- UK's Boris Johnson fills Cabinet with close allies
Fears Hammond could quit Cabinet: Chancellor 'excluded from key meetings' as pressure mounts on PM over 'hard' Brexit have 371 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at October 16, 2016. This is cached page on Vietnam Dance. If you want remove this page, please contact us.