Donald J. Trump was in a state of shock: He had just fired his campaign manager and was watching the man discuss his dismissal at length on CNN. The rattled candidate's advisers and family seized the moment for an intervention. Joined by his daughter Ivanka and her husband, Jared Kushner, a cluster of Mr. Trump's confidants pleaded with him to make that day — June 20 — a turning point. He would have to stick to a teleprompter and end his freestyle digressions and insults, like his repeated attacks on a Hispanic federal judge . Paul Manafort, Mr. Trump's campaign chairman, and Gov. Chris Christie of New Jersey argued that Mr. Trump had an effective message, if only he would deliver it. For now, the campaign's polling showed, too many voters described him in two words: "unqualified" and "racist." Mr. Trump bowed to his team's entreaties, according to four people with detailed knowledge of the meeting, who described it on the condition of anonymity. It was time, he agreed, to get on track. Nearly two months later, the effort to save Mr. Trump from himself has plainly failed. He has repeatedly signaled to his advisers and allies his willingness to… Read full this story
- Five Moments From Donald Trump at CPAC You Might Have Missed
- The 73 People Pardoned by Donald Trump on His Last Day As President
- QAnon Influencers Believe Donald Trump Gave Them a Signal At Ohio Rally
- Can Donald Trump Solve Afghanistan?
- Russian hackers have given Donald Trump his chance to refight the last election
- Trump's Harsh Sanctions on COVID-Stricken Iran Leave Diplomatic Wreckage
- Eric Trump Calls Letitia James 'Unethical' As She Probes Trump's Children
- Cleta Mitchell Is Training Thousands of Trump Loyalists to Monitor the Polls on Election Day
- With a New Weapon in Trump's Hands, The Iran Crisis Risks Going Nuclear
- Maggie Haberman on How She Covers Trump Without Losing Her Mind
Inside the Failing Mission to Tame Donald Trump’s Tongue have 318 words, post on www.nytimes.com at August 13, 2016. This is cached page on Vietnam Dance. If you want remove this page, please contact us.