This week’s question is from Senior Editor Marah Eakin: What two fictional friends—or groups of friends—would you like to see face off? Alex McCown I think it’s long past time that America got the superhero showdown it deserves. I refer, of course, to a knock-down-drag-out between Chris O’Donnell’s Robin and Alicia Silverstone’s Batgirl from 1997’s Batman And Robin. The widely excoriated exercise in camp that gives camp a bad name (reportedly, director Joel Schumacher would yell out right before calling action, “Remember, everyone, we’re making a cartoon!”) has two main villains, and neither one is a bad guy from the narrative. Rather, they’re the bizarrely infantile Robin and Batgirl, both of whom manage to make an embarrassingly childlike film even more juvenile through characters who seem genetically engineered to make you want to defenestrate them both. Ergo, what better way to kill two birds with one stone (hopefully) than by forcing them into a steel-cage death match? No form of violence would be off limits, they’d be allowed to bring whatever weapons they wanted, and while it’s possible one would walk away—I’d begrudgingly back Batgirl, were I forced at gunpoint to pick a side—the cheerier thought is that they’d take… Read full this story
- A Civil War Novel Imagines More Racial Kinship Than Horror
- From Dune to Tenet: The Most-Anticipated Movies of 2020 | Digital Trends
- The best Hulu original series you can stream right now
- Tribeca Reveals Debut Podcast Slate, Calling It A Major-Festival First
- Everything you can watch on Apple TV+
- The 55 best HBO series streaming right now
- Hillary’s New Deal: How a Clinton Presidency Could Transform America
- The 47 best movies on HBO Max right now
- ‘The Good Lord Bird’ Is Good TV. But Mix Art and Slavery at Your Peril.
- Gods, Monsters and H.P. Lovecraft’s Uncanny Legacy
What fictional characters should face off in their own civil war? have 310 words, post on tv.avclub.com at May 6, 2016. This is cached page on Vietnam Dance. If you want remove this page, please contact us.