PANO – More than 69 million voters of Vietnam on May 22nd cast their ballots to elect deputies to the 14th National Assembly and all-level People’s Councils at 91,476 polling stations nationwide.
At 6.30, the National Festive Day was started with opening ceremonies in a solemn atmosphere at all polling stations. The exciting and joyful atmosphere was felt in all villages and towns across the country. The People’s Army Newspaper Online would like to present snapshots of the event.
* At polling station No.3, Nguyen Du ward, Hai Ba Trung district, Hanoi, Party General Secretary Nguyen Phu Trong, local officials and people of the constituency cast their ballots to vote for deputies of the 14th National Assembly and all-level People’s Councils of the 2016-2021 term.
At 7am, a representative of the Nguyen Du ward People’s Committee delivered a opening speech and explained the election rules. Party General Secretary Nguyen Phu Trong cast his vote at 7:15am and then voters of the constituency lined up for their turns to exercise their right to vote. The oldest voter of the constituency is 86 years old and the youngest voter is 18 years old.
The event took place in a joyful atmosphere and in accordance with law.
* On May 22nd morning, State President Tran Dai Quang and his spouse cast their ballots to elect deputies to the 14th National Assembly and 2016-2021 People’s Councils at all levels at polling station No.8, Nhan Chinh ward, Thanh Xuan district, Hanoi.
Addressing the event, the State President stressed that the election was a great national event, which took place after 30 years of implementing the renewal process (Doi Moi) initiated by the Party.
This year’s elections held important meaning for building and strengthening a rule-of-law socialist State of the people, by the people and for the people. The elections also contributed to promoting national industrialization and modernization and international integration.
President Tran Dai Quang also urged the local authorities to ensure democracy, fairness, lawfulness, security and safety for the elections. The mass media were requested to inform people on the election’s results on time, he asked.
* NA Chairwoman Nguyen Thi Kim Ngan was also among the first voters to cast ballots at polling station No. 4 in Vinh Phuc ward, Ba Dinh district, Hanoi.
* Meanwhile, Prime Minister Nguyen Xuan Phuc and his spouse joined voters to cast ballots at polling station No. 8, Vinh Bao town, Vinh Bao district, the northern port city of Hai Phong.
He said, “This is the country’s most important political event. Voting in elections is citizens’ right and duty. Organizations and individuals from the central to the grassroots levels should understand that the elections will contribute to perfecting the State apparatus and successfully actualizing the Resolution of the 12th National Party Congress.
Hai Phong has more than 1.46 million voters. Voters of the city will elect nine deputies to the NA, 69 to the municipal People’s Council, 524 to the district People’s Councils and 5,795 to the communal People’s Councils.
* The organizing panel of polling station No. 12 at the Meeting Hall of the Ministry of National Defense (Dien Bien ward, Ba Dinh district, Hanoi) held the opening ceremony for the elections to deputies to the 14th National Assembly and 2016-21 People’s Councils at all levels. Defense Minister, General Ngo Xuan Lich; Vice Chairman of the National Assembly Do Ba Ty; Lieutenant General Phan Van Giang, Chief of the General Staff; and leaders and former leaders of the Party, State, and Ministry of National Defense attended the opening ceremony. After the grand ceremony, delegates exercise their right to vote, casting their ballots.
Voters at the election unit came early to study the profiles of the candidates, join the opening ceremony, and cast their votes. The voting at the unit was conducted in a festive and safe manner and in line with the regulations and laws.
* Also, troops of the General Department of Politics elected deputies to the 14th National Assembly and all-level People’s Councils for the 2016-2021 tenure at polling station No.6 of Cua Dong ward, Hoan Kiem district, Hanoi. Former Party General Secretary and former Director of the General Department of Politics Sen. Lt. Gen. Le Kha Phieu, Director of the General Department of Politics Sen. Lt. Gen. Luong Cuong, and other senior officers and troops voted for deputies of the 14th National Assembly and 2016-21 people’s councils at all levels at the polling station.
Addressing the event, Colonel Tran Van Vuong, Deputy Head of the Department of Politics said that the general department has six polling stations and functional agencies of the general department prepared well for the election day. They are also tasked to ensure safety and security for the elections and to promote high combat readiness to respond to any contingencies.
* Over 5.2 million voters came to 3,200 polling stations in Ho Chi Minh City to elect deputies to the 14th National Assembly and all-level People’s Councils for the 2016-2021 tenure on May 22nd.
The Secretary of the municipal Party’s Committee Dinh La Thang was the first voter to cast his ballot at the 51st polling station in Ward 7, District 3, Ho Chi Minh City. All officials and locals showed their delight exercising their right to vote in a democracy attmoshere. They also believed that qualified deputies will be elected and that the elections will be successful.
* Although the elections were officially opened at 7am, many voters came to polling stations early to wait for their turns to elect deputies to the 14th National Assembly and People’s Councils at all levels for the 2016-2020 tenure.
In 30 districts and towns of Hanoi, 4,874 polling stations in 10 constituencies were crowded with voters. For many people, the event was a big festival. They in nice clothes met, talked and laughed cheerfully nearby polling places.
As a voter of Giang Vo ward, Ba Dinh district, Minister of Public Security To Lam delightedly shared his thoughts. He said that all voters have a high sense of responsibility. They will surely vote for qualified candidates who can represent them to raise their issues, express their will and aspirations and protect rights and interests at the 14th NA and 2016-21 People’s Councils at all levels.
At the polling station No.2 of Khuong Trung ward, Thanh Xuan district, Politburo member and permanent member of the Party Central Committee’s Secretariat Dinh The Huynh was the first to cast a ballot. He was followed by senior revolutionaries, the elderly and people.
Politburo member and Secretary of the Hanoi Municipal Party Committee Hoang Trung Hai came to the polling station No.4 of Lang Ha ward, Dong Da district early to exercise his citizen right and duty. He said that he hoped voters will choose the candidates with good ability and morals to the legislature and all-level People’s Councils.
* In the Central Highlands, all villages, communes and remote and border areas are adorned with flags, flowers, banners and slogans in celebration of the elections – a big national festival.
As of 8am, more than 48 percent of the total 4 million voters from ethnic groups in the region cast their ballots.
On behalf of all voters in the Central Highlands, Ami San from Ale A village, Ea Tam ward, Buon Ma Thuot city, Dak Lak province expressed her wish that the elected people will have specific and good action plans to preserve the traditional culture of ethnic minorities and to improve their living conditions.
In polling stations of public security, military, border guard units in villages of the southern province of Hau Giang, the voting started at 5am to facilitate local people’s work.
The festive atmosphere was also seen in the northern provinces of Cao Bang, Yen Bai, Bac Giang, Thai Nguyen, Ha Nam and the central provinces of Quang Tri and Binh Dinh, among others. Local people with their high and positive expectations of the 14th National Assemble and 2016-21 people’s councils at all levels.
Voting at most polling stations nationwide will close at 7pm on May 22nd, 2016.
- NA election: over 51.5 million voters cast ballots
- AFP: California in spotlight as US voters cast ballots in primaries
- Nearly 8M Latino voters expected to cast ballots this year
- First voters cast ballots at Ba Ria-Vung Tau
- Voters nationwide enthusiastic with vote casting
- People nationwide cast votes on elections day
- Voters nationwide go to the polls
- First voter casts ballot in Ba Ria-Vung Tau province
- More than 99 percent of voters cast ballots in 12th NA election