RIO DE JANEIRO (AP) Athletes in next year’s Summer Olympics here will be swimming and boating in waters so contaminated with human feces that they risk becoming violently ill and unable to compete in the games, an Associated Press investigation has found.An AP analysis of water quality revealed dangerously high levels of viruses and bacteria from human sewage in Olympic and Paralympic venues – results that alarmed international experts and dismayed competitors training in Rio, some of whom have already fallen ill with fevers, vomiting and diarrhea.It is the first independent comprehensive testing for both viruses and bacteria at the Olympic sites.Brazilian officials have assured that the water will be safe for the Olympic athletes and the medical director of the International Olympic Committee said all was on track for providing safe competing venues. But neither the government nor the IOC tests for viruses, relying on bacteria testing only.Extreme water pollution is common in Brazil, where the majority of sewage is not treated. Raw waste runs through open-air ditches to streams and rivers that feed the Olympic water sites.As a result, Olympic athletes are almost certain to come into contact with disease-causing viruses that in some tests measured up to… Read full this story
- Games Over: From weed-covered stadiums to refugee camps — worst abandoned Olympic venues
- USWNT guarding against letdown with Olympic berth on line
- Curry, Thompson, Green In Running For Berth On 2020 Olympic Basketball Team
- US guarding against letdown with Olympic berth on line
- Ex-Olympic swim champ blames contamination for failed test
- Spaghetti Party! Ryan Lochte Posts Photo with Michael Phelps Ahead of 'Final Brodown' at the Olympics
- Japan offers one month training camp for Kenya's Olympic Games team
- As Nike’s Hi-Tech Shoes Allowed in Tokyo Olympics Will There Really Be a ‘Level Playing Field’?
- New Zealand rower Emma Twigg sets sights on another Olympics
- Rio 2016: Brazil's interim leader Temer dismisses worries
AP Investigation: Olympic teams to swim, boat in Rio’s filth have 311 words, post on www.foxsports.com at July 30, 2015. This is cached page on Vietnam Dance. If you want remove this page, please contact us.