Apple joined Walmart, Amazon, eBay and other retailers in their efforts to ban the Confederate flag from merchandise by taking down most apps that boasted the symbol from the iTunes App Store. Creators of Civil War-based strategy games like Ultimate General: Gettysburg and Civil War: 1862 discovered that their apps had been removed suddenly from the Apple marketplace. “We have removed apps from the App Store that use the Confederate flag in offensive or mean-spirited ways, which is in violation of our guidelines,” an Apple spokesperson told BuzzFeed. “We are not removing apps that display the Confederate flag for educational or historical uses.” Apps like the History Channel’s The Civil War Today and The Battle of Antietam remain available on the App Store, but most smartphone games bearing the Confederate flag were removed, Ars Technica writes, along with apps that promised Confederate flag wallpaper for cellphones. Ultimate General: Gettysburg developer Nick Thomadis wrote on the game’s official site about the app’s removal, claiming that Ultimate General: Gettysburg could be viewed as educational under Apple’s guidelines. “We receive a lot of letters of gratitude from American teachers who use our game in history curriculum to let kids experience one of the most… Read full this story
- Who’s Keeping Their Confederate Flags, Who’s Not
- Powell takes on Trump over Confederate flag
- Implementing app bans: The role of ISPs and app stores
- Over 2,500 games removed from Apple's China App Store after loophole shuts: data firm
- Trump says Confederate flag proud symbol of U.S. South
- The surprisingly simple fix for Apple’s convoluted App Store rules
- 'Dukes of Hazzard' star Ben Jones on Confederate flag controversy, says it's 'a Southern symbol' not 'racist'
- Faith Hill urges Mississippi legislature to change state flag calling it a 'direct symbol of terror for our black brothers and sisters' for featuring Confederate flag in its design
- Microsoft isn’t happy with Apple’s App Store bullying either
- Hey Email locks horns with Apple
Apple Removes Confederate Flag-Bearing Games From App Store have 322 words, post on www.rollingstone.com at June 26, 2015. This is cached page on Vietnam Dance. If you want remove this page, please contact us.