Allies of Kremlin-critic Boris Nemtsov, who was shot dead in central Moscow last month, are to pursue legal action after a Russian nationalist group vandalised the tributes at the site of Nemtsov’s murder and accused the deceased opposition leader of being a “traitor” to Russia. Earlier this week a group of seven people wearing St. George’s scarves – Russia’s alternative symbol of remembrance of the war dead – posted photos of themselves at the site of the Nemtsov memorial on the Bolshoy Moskvoretsky Bridge, scattering flowers and tearing pictures of the deceased. The group then spray-painted over a sign placed by mourners which unofficially refers to the site as the ‘Nemtsov Bridge’, before breaking it into pieces. Russian online newspaper Gazeta identified the group yesterday as members of the self-proclaimed Russian liberation movement – SERB, who declare themselves patriots seeking to “combat traitors to Russia in any form”. Ilya Yashin, a friend of Nemtsov’s, as well as a vocal member of the RPR-PARNAS party which Nemtsov led, was one of those who has condemned the acts, referring to the vandals as “cowardly scum”. “Even in death [Nemtsov] sticks in your throat,” Yashin tweeted along with images of the vandals proudly… Read full this story
- The Russian Revolution 100 years on: 'Russia hasn't dealt with the past'
- Russia shuts down top rights group amid crackdown on critics
- Russia's 1993 crisis still shaping Kremlin politics, 25 years on
- Stunning photos from the week gone by
- How annexing Crimea allowed Putin to claim he had made Russia great again
- How Russia's independent media was dismantled piece by piece
- Russia's retaliatory US sanctions bill 'purely symbolic'
- The man Putin fears most
- The St Petersburg anarchists cooking up a vegan revolution
- Integrity Initiative: Foreign Office Funded, Staffed by Spies, Housed by MI5?
Russian Nationalists Vandalise Kremlin-Critic Nemtsov's Memorial have 286 words, post on www.newsweek.com at March 26, 2015. This is cached page on Vietnam Dance. If you want remove this page, please contact us.