‘This term — “Nehru-Gandhi” family — is a misnomer. Nehru was not a dynast; he did not even name his successor… The big mistake she made was to push forward Rahul Gandhi who is a dead loss as a leader,’ says writer Nayantara Sahgal, whom Sonia Gandhi calls ‘Tara Masi’. W ith a beautiful view of the foothills of the Himalayas and a not-so-beautiful one of a multi-storey building coming up next door, Nayantara Sahgal , sits on the verandah of the home her mother built in Dehradun. “She lived here for 20 years. Then she left this house to me,” she says talking about her mother Vijayalakshmi Pandit, Jawaharlal Nehru’s politician-diplomat sister. Sahgal, 87, herself has lived here for nearly three decades — not far from Landour, where she studied at the Woodstock School. A writer of several novels, autobiographies, historical and political works, she continues to write — preferring to write in the mornings. The day we met in her garden with a riot of camellia flowers in bloom, two news photographers had dropped in to take photographs. “The house is a place of many family memories,” says Sahgal, who lives down the road from her sister. She… Read full this story
- Kim Kardashian channels her inner Bollywood 'dulhan' for 'Vogue India'
- Finchley nanny in marathon fundraiser after niece diagnosed with eye cancer aged 13 weeks
- Linda Nolan: I won't let cancer rule the rest of my life
- Sarbjit Kaur murder: Family's desperate plea for answers
- Loughisland case: Full ruling in which judge recuses himself
- VIDEO: Family's fear as relative with special needs faces deportation
- Pixie Lott rules out having a baby before tying the knot with fiancé Oliver Cheshire
- Queen Jetsun Pema: The young monarch who rules over Bhutan and Instagram
- Indian or not? Muslims fret amid drive against illegal immigrants
- Country whose citizens don't pay tax cannot flourish, says PM Abbasi
Nehru's niece: 'I don't think one family should rule India' have 299 words, post on www.rediff.com at December 9, 2014. This is cached page on Vietnam Dance. If you want remove this page, please contact us.