Several U.S. senators have proposed stripping the NFL of its tax-exempt status — a warning analysts say the image-damaged league can’t afford to ignore even if the threat proves hollow.Just as it did during Major League Baseball’s steroid scandal nearly a decade ago, Congress is using its bully pulpit — and threatening legislation — to prod change on another of the nation’s pastimes.Lawmakers introduced bills last week threatening to revoke the league’s tax exemption for two different reasons.Sen. Cory Booker, a New Jersey Democrat, unveiled legislation to boost funding for domestic violence prevention programs by revoking the tax exemption of the NFL, technically a nonprofit organization, and nine other professional sports leagues.The bill came as the NFL and its commissioner, Roger Goodell sought to repair the league’s image following its indefinite suspension of former Ravens’ running back Ray Rice for knocking his then-fiancee unconscious in February in an Atlantic City casino elevator, and domestic or child abuse allegations against other players.Just days later, Sen. Maria Cantwell of Washington, Sen. Harry Reid of Nevada and Sen. Tim Johnson of South Dakota — all Democrats — introduced a measure to eliminate the league’s tax protection if it continues to support the Washington… Read full this story
- Meet The Convicted Felon Who Defrauded The NFL, Made Reggie Bush Ineligible, And Funded The Saints' Bounty Program
- 'The Gandhis are very much in Modi's crosshairs'
- Grid Irony? Taunting Initiatives and the NFL
- Presidential cooperation: History's perspective on scandal and controversy
- Sonia Gandhi is back as Congress president
- USOPC introduces reforms in response to Nassar scandal
- ‘Our leader walked away’: Salman Khurshid on what’s ailing Congress
- GOP Congress will continue to pursue Clinton email investigation
- Congress, NC finalise alliance in J-K for Lok Sabha polls
- Madurai sex scandal: Cops obtain voice samples of assistant professor
Scandals put the NFL in Congress' crosshairs have 299 words, post on www.baltimoresun.com at September 20, 2014. This is cached page on Vietnam Dance. If you want remove this page, please contact us.