South Korea’s government said 290 people are missing after a ferry carrying hundreds of high school students sank en route to the resort island of Jeju, in what may be the nation’s worst ferry accident in two decades. At least six people, including a student, died in the accident, which occurred off the southwest corner of the Korean peninsula yesterday, the nation’s disaster control agency said on its website today. Of the 475 passengers and crew, 179 people have been rescued, the agency said. The government yesterday said 368 people had been rescued, a mistake it said was caused by double-counting. The passengers included 325 students and 14 teachers from Danwon High School on an excursion to Jeju island, according to the school’s website. A board posted at the school used to track those rescued showed that only 80 had been accounted for. They were in their penultimate year of high school at Danwon, which has 1,376 students. “Luckily, I was able to jump, like many others,” Im Hyeong Min, a student from the school, told broadcaster YTN in a phone interview after being rescued. Another student, whose name was not provided, broke down in tears as he spoke to…
- South Korean prime minister resigns over ferry sinking
- More than 270 missing as ferry sinks off the coast of South Korea
- South Korea plans tracking wristbands, US virus deaths rise
- S. Korea reports 32 more cases of new coronavirus, total now at 10,512
- China poses the biggest threat to America and is waging a 'full court blitzkrieg' against us, says Bill Bar in escalating rhetoric aimed at Beijing amid fury at coronavirus 'cover-up'
- 'I write on a chalkboard and tell Azura to call me Miss': Alesha Dixon admits she's loving homeschooling because she 'always wanted to be a teacher'
- Gwangju Biennale honours sacrifice that brought democracy to South Korea
- Fifty-one recovered coronavirus patients test positive AGAIN in South Korea amid fears virus can hide in human cells and reactivate
- Best pandemic movies you shouldn't miss while social distancing
- Elderly people SHOULD wear face masks because it could protect them from catching the deadly coronavirus, British scientists say
S. Korea says 290 missing after ferry sinks have 348 words, post on at April 16, 2014. This is cached page on Vietnam Dance. If you want remove this page, please contact us.