CAIRO – Egypt’s interim leader has vowed fresh elections by early next year after 51 people, mostly supporters of ousted president Mohamed Morsi, were killed outside Cairo military barracks on Monday prompting a US call for restraint. Morsi’s Muslim Brotherhood, which has led demonstrations against Wednesday’s military overthrow of the Islamist leader, called for an “uprising”, saying troops and police “massacred” its supporters during dawn prayers in Cairo on Monday. Amid the widening chasm in the restive country, interim president Adly Mansour issued a decree setting a timetable for a referendum on an amended constitution and then for parliamentary elections. The whole process will take no more than 210 days, according to the decree, meaning elections by early February at the latest. Mansour will announce the date for presidential elections after the new parliament convenes, according to a draft of the 33-article decree published by the official MENA news agency. The carnage outside the elite Republican Guards’ headquarters has further delayed Mansour’s efforts to name a new prime minister, as the loose opposition coalition that backed Morsi’s ouster lost a key Islamist party. The Brotherhood released the names of 42 people killed in the incident, as the interior ministry and… Read full this story
- Opinion: Turkey election must result in rebirth of a nation
- Mubarak’s New Cabinet Fails to Appease As Fears of a ‘Revolutionary Tsunami’ Spread
- Indonesia election: What will the next five years of Joko Widodo look like?
- Asian victors may find anti-China campaign vows hard to keep
- 2020 Daily Trail Markers: How local leaders are planning for the DNC and RNC
- Ruto allies vow to stay put, as Uhuru oversees changes at senate
- Federal election meets Eurovision: The dream double bill for a lazy May weekend
- Impoverished Burundi, battered by violence and coronavirus, gears up for elections
- Dinner diplomacy: Melania Trump sits beside Putin at G20 banquet after her husband confronted him on hacking the election - which Russian leader flatly denied
- Lt. Col, soldier killed in avalanche in north Sikkim
New Egyptian leader vows fresh elections after 51 killed have 328 words, post on vietnamnews.vn at July 9, 2013. This is cached page on Vietnam Dance. If you want remove this page, please contact us.