In a presentation originally given at GDC 2011 titled “An Apology for Roger Ebert,” Infocom and LucasArts veteran Brian Moriarty (Loom) came to the defense of film critic Roger Ebert and his views about video games as art. Here, his lecture is reprinted in full with his permission.]The title of this lecture, “An Apology for Roger Ebert,” may require a bit of clarification.I’m not here to offer an apology in the sense of regret for anything done wrong.This is an apology in the sense of a Greek apologia, the systematic defense of a position or opinion.It’s a defense of Roger Ebert, the Pulitzer Prize winning film critic for the Chicago Sun-Times who, a little over five years ago, annoyed our industry by declaring that “video games can never be art.”For those few of you unacquainted with this controversy, I’ll spend just a few minutes recounting what happened.It all started with a bad movie.On October 21st, 2005, Universal released its adaptation of the first-person shooter game Doom.I didn’t see Doom, but Roger Ebert did. He awarded the film one star.In his review, he wrote, “Toward the end of the movie, there is a lengthy point-of-view shot looking forward over the barrel… Read full this story
- Extinction Rebellion co-founder Roger Hallam apologises for his 'crass words' after sparking fury by referring to the Holocaust as 'just another f**kery in human history'
- Afternoon Mirror: Brian Williams Has A Humongous Compliment For MSNBC’s All-Female Debate Moderators
- A History of Inductees Snubbing the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Sorted by Pettiness
- George Romero didn’t just invent the zombie movie, he changed filmmaking forever
- What movies should’ve made our best of the 2010s list?
- Every Al Pacino Performance, Ranked
- ‘Adithya Varma’ movie review: A faithful ‘Arjun Reddy’ remake that retains its soul, but lacks conviction
- The Brand Keeping Oprah in Business
- Myles Garrett's suspension upheld after he accused Mason Rudolph of using racial slur
- John Boyega: storming from Peckham to galactic fame
Opinion: Brian Moriarty's Apology For Roger Ebert have 335 words, post on www.gamasutra.com at March 14, 2011. This is cached page on Vietnam Dance. If you want remove this page, please contact us.