Contest funds documentary productions
HA NOI — Discovery Network Asia’s First Time Filmmakers Viet Nam competition announced its winners on Wednesday in Ha Noi.
Phan Y Ly, Dao Thanh Tung, Phan Duy Linh, Hoang Manh Cuong and Nguyen Manh Ha will share a US$250,000 grant from the sponsoring Ford Foundation in order to produce their proposed documentaries.
Ly’s winning idea, City Passion, would track three middle-aged people who dream of winning a dance contest. Born in 1981, Ly has a master’s degree in theatre for development and four years experience in development work and community theatre with the UNDP and other international organisations in Viet Nam and abroad.
Ly and 11 others took part in a two-day seminar earlier this week to discuss their scripts before the winners were announced.
“It is a good chance for me to know about Discovery’s filmmaking process,” Ly said. “I see they always focus on the story first despite the fact that they are making a documentary.”
The filmmakers will complete their productions over the next six months, with the finished documentaries expected to air on Discovery Asia later next year.
The competition was co-sponsored by Uproar Asia, the Viet Nam Cinematography Department and the Ford Foundation, and drew 68 entries from filmmakers nationwide. — VNS
- Brit doctor became the 'godfather of modern torture' in secret CIA funded wing
- The shocking truth behind Fyre Festival disaster revealed in new Netflix documentary
- Inside Hotel Chocolat – what is the Channel 5 documentary about, where can I buy products and who owns it?
- Belfast film company announces feature documentary on legendary band the Go-Go's
- Reporters From Bhutan, Yemen, Sudan Apply for Stenin Contest for the First Time
- When is Leaving Neverland released and what’s the Michael Jackson documentary about?
- La Toya Jackson throws support behind late brother after documentary backlash
- Where are the old Shipwrecked contestants now? From Jeff Brazier to Sarah-Jane Crawford, here’s what happened to the T4 cast
- Mark Dobson: Honoured to be involved in special documentary
- Mark Dobson: I'm honoured to be involved in special documentary