SHANGHAI, China – Germany won its second straight Women’s World Cup on Sunday, defeating Brazil 2-0 behind second-half goals by Birgit Prinz and Simone Laudehr. Prinz scored in the 52nd minute and Laudehr added a cushion in the 86th, helping Germany become the first women’s soccer team to successfully defend its title in the World Cup or Olympics. Marta, the Brazilian star with seven goals in the tournament, had a chance to tie the score in the second half, but her penalty kick was stopped by diving German goalkeeper Nadine Angerer. “After the penalty save, I felt it was meant to be,” Germany coach Silvia Neid said. “We worked hard for each other. It was a great team performance. It was important to work against Marta, and we did a good job in pushing her to the sidelines.” Germany went through six games in the tournament without yielding a goal and outscored the opposition 21-0, setting other records in the process. The Germans thwarted the flowing attacks of Brazil, which routed the United States 4-0 in the semifinal. In the third-place game Sunday, the U.S. defeated Norway 4-1 behind two goals by Abby Wambach. Germany, bidding to host the 2011… Read full this story
- 8 players who will play in their final World Cup in Qatar - including Messi and Ronaldo
- World Cup 2022 ultimate draw round-up: Team-by-team and group guide for first-ever winter tournament in Qatar
- Qatar 2022: Spain and Germany headline group stage, England set for USA trilogy
- Chelsea news LIVE: US billionaire Ken Griffin jets into London to negotiate Ricketts takeover, Rudiger transfer LATEST
- Jersey Maradona Wore During ‘Hand Of God’ Goal Heads To Auction
- From Thierry Henry to David Trezeguet and Karim Benzema, the top five France strikers in history with no Olivier Giroud
Germany defeats Brazil to win World Cup have 291 words, post on www.nydailynews.com at September 30, 2007. This is cached page on Vietnam Dance. If you want remove this page, please contact us.