We no longer can trust Congress to impeach and remove a terrible president. The Washington Post has published an op-ed piece by Robert Dallek that proposes a constitutional amendment to allow “ouster by the people” for removing a president other than by impeachment or because of incapacity. Considering the dismal performance of George W. Bush and his administration and the difficulty in obtaining impeachment, this is a fine idea.Here are the main features of the amendment: The recall procedure would begin by obtaining a 60 percent vote in the Senate and House. Public pressure on Congress could help it shift decision making to the electorate. Congressional support would initiate a national referendum that would be open to all eligible voters in state elections. Clearly, it should be done fairly quickly. The ballot would simply offer the choice of voting “yes” or “no” to the option of removing the president and vice president from office immediately. If the majority votes in favor of removal, then the Speaker of the House would become president and choose a vice president who would have to be confirmed by majorities in the House and Senate.These are solid ideas that would add a much needed dose… Read full this story
- Trump acquitted at end of months long impeachment process, found not guilty of two articles
- How incompetent is US President Donald Trump?
- Donald Trump fails to 'fully appreciate' the office of US president
- John Bolton: Donald Trump fails to 'fully appreciate' the office of US president
- Trump and other Republicans slam Romney over impeachment vote
- Maxine Waters After Trump Commutes Roger Stone: ‘Dems Impeached, Rep Senators Failed to Remove!’
- AG Barr says Trump has fired SDNY federal prosecutor who refused to leave; president says he's 'not involved'
- Citing politics, Democrats wants Census appointees removed
- Who is Luther Strange, who Trump keeps endorsing?
- The Hill's Morning Report - Trump's public standing sags after Floyd protests
Removing A Failed President, Without Impeachment have 313 words, post on ezinearticles.com at August 5, 2007. This is cached page on Vietnam Dance. If you want remove this page, please contact us.