Australian rules football has now only been recognised as a truly national competition. After a decade and a half of fighting off the V.F.L (Victorian Football League) stigma, the A.F.L would be delighted with the last 6 years results.Let me explain:Australian rules football was developed by 2 enterprising young men back in the Mid 1800`s who needed to find a way of keeping the cricketers fitness levels up during winter. They came up with what we know today as “Aussie Rules”.Played only in the State of Victoria initially,in 1897, the Victorian Football League or V.F.L was born. This competition was the elite of footballers from Melbourne and surrounding districts. It was a thriving competition attracting crowds in excess of 60,000 to each of the 6 games played on a Saturday afternoon in suburban Melbourne.The game spread to the other states of Australia but never had the profile that it had in Victoria. Elite players from interstate came to Victoria to pit their ability against the best in the nation. Interstate carnivals began in the 1950`s but it soon became evident that Victoria was clearly dominant sometimes winning games by extraordinary amounts.By the 1970`s this format was changed to allow players… Read full this story
- Women's T20 World Cup: A look at the venues in Australia
- Few answers year after MH17 downed in Ukraine
- Duva’s XI: Jordan Lyden emerges as Socceroos bolter after standout campaign with Swindon Town
- Duva’s XI: Another Cahill on national scout’s radar, Ange back in Australia, Man City’s Brexit
- A-League preview round 20: Melbourne Victory in must-win clash
Aussie Rules Football have 267 words, post on ezinearticles.com at October 9, 2006. This is cached page on Vietnam Dance. If you want remove this page, please contact us.