“Mommy, Mommy, Mommy! Am I stupid?” excitedly requested Christopher, nearly out of breath from the long run into the kitchen. She knew he had been playing with neighborhood children under a mighty pine tree in the side yard.Saddened by the question and realizing he had just been tormented by the others, she tenderly gave him a hug and lovingly told him, “No, Christopher, you are not stupid.””Oh,” replied Christopher, with obvious disappointment in his tone.Certainly you must be wondering why these loving words of motherhood would be met with such sadness. You see what had really happened was that as the children were teasing him about his autism they were really paying attention to him. He was the center of their focus and for a brief moment he felt like he was accepted by them. He felt special. His value as a human had astronomically increased because he was, as they put it, “stupid”.As Christopher grew he understood the lesson he learned that summer afternoon better than most people ever do. He understands that he is different, but that it is okay to be different. Now a teenager, Christopher sees himself as an individual that has value. He knows that… Read full this story
- LETTERS FROM WESTMINSTER: 'We need to support and protect workers'
- Booming Indian cities get creative to house migrant workers
- ROBERT BUCKLAND COLUMN: Great to see project to get homeless off the streets
- Embrace autism because…
- Alarm at plan to send fewer children for autism diagnosis
- Mum’s heartbreak at boy, 9, who is only able to attend school for ONE HOUR a week because teachers ‘can’t cope with his autism’
- Autism awareness campaign on behalf of Angus schoolboy goes to Holyrood
- Norfolk author wins national autism award
- New funding and staff aim to stop children waiting more than a year for autism assessment
- Amazon in new workers shame as drivers complain of harsh conditions and gruelling hours
Autism Means Great Workers have 318 words, post on ezinearticles.com at May 17, 2005. This is cached page on Vietnam Dance. If you want remove this page, please contact us.